RCDL 2004 was held at Pushchino Scientific Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences, near Moscow. This year 34 submissions were accepted as full papers and 11 as short reports. About 100 researchers and practitioners from academia, libraries and industry participated it the conference.
Conference topics included:
- Models and standards for information and meta-information representation (including thesauri and ontologies) in DL.
- Methods and tools for data discovery, extraction analysis and retrieval in DL (including audio-visual and mixed data).
- Access to distributed and heterogeneous digital collections: interoperability, scalability, relevant information discovery, and meta-information integration.
- Human aspects of DL (interaction with and collaboration in DL, personalization, data visualization and analysis of data).
- Digital libraries and digital collections for science, education, culture, health care and management.
- Digital collections in traditional libraries, museums, archives, information centers.
Being the major Russian event in the digital libraries field, RCDL attracts increasing attention from foreign participants and that helps to improve international collaboration. In particular, at the RCDL'2004 Prof. Edward A. Fox (Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA) gave a keynote talk on "Digital Libraries of the Future: Integration through the 5S Framework" and led a tutorial on "Digital Library Foundations". These remarkable lectures were very well accepted by the participants.
For the second time RCDL was collocated with Russian Information Retrieval Evaluation Seminar (ROMIP). This annual event is similar to TREC and devoted to large scale independent evaluation of text retrieval systems with focus on russian language. ROMIP'2004 was great success and attracted leading Russian IR researchers.